Tuesday 26 April 2005

Exploding Toads

A news item that recently caught my eye involved the issue of exploding German toads. As the famed Dave Barry used to say, "I am not making this up". Now, being a Queenslander -- especially one who did some (physical) growing up in a rural environment -- I am not unfamiliar with the ways in which a toad may die, but this is something even my country mates were unable to pull off.

Update: The always Extremely Useful Wikipedia now has an article on the toads.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I've actually seen a German exploding toads article twice in the Australian press. Once was the initial report - the second was a follow up report where a German vet apparently had figured it was due to crows eating their livers(?) and the toads inflated as a defence mechanism... ah, the global village... Jonathan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mentioned the story of the exploding toads at a morning coffee break and no-one here had heard of it. Perhaps it's not newsworthy enough here or it was a slow news day in Australia. Alternatively, the Aussies might have just been hoping for a solution to the cane toads.

    ReplyDelete