Thursday 17 March 2005

Frühling has Sprung

Growing up in Brisbane I didn't understand a lot of things. I didn't understand why Christmas decorations and some traditions centred on snow and winter. Oh I accepted it -- most children do when it comes with perverse amounts of sugar and receiving free toys -- but I never really understood it. Similarly, I never understood what the whole fuss about winter was. The longing you would hear from our northern hemisphere neighbours about when warmer weather would arrive, the excitement of spring and all the things they were going to do in the summer. Sure winter was a couple of inconvenient weeks in the middle of the year, but I honestly didn't get the big deal.

Then we moved to Canberra. Turns out some places can measure four distinct seasons by the changes around them and not just by checking the calendar month. The colours in autumn were gorgeous instead of a couple of trees that looked like they had gone off a bit. And, after living through six and a half Canberran winters, I finally understood what the longing for the warmer weather meant.

But not until the last few days have I ever seen such an abrupt arrival to spring. Last week was snow and temperatures hovering around zero (or further below!) and this week, wow! Small birds flittering everywhere with some kind of happy chirping and chittering going on. The sun is shining, the grass seems greener and the air is warm. I mean I haven't actually seen Bambi gently grazing in the forest yet, but I FULLY EXPECT TO any day now. I know that the last weeks have had an almost unprecedented late winter cold snap but, seriously, the warmer weather (and the attendant Disney atmosphere) has come on faster than you could say "Frühling". Well faster than I could say it anyway.

1 comment:

  1. Man, sounds like Germany is like Canberra in the change of seasons mate! Tuesday was sweltering 34C and since Wednesday no day has been over 19C! What's doing with that? Enjoy Bambi when he comes out to take a dump on your front lawn.
    >Luv BruceR :-)

    ReplyDelete